“A teacher told us that when she asked her class to bring in a book from home, three of the students brought in the phone book because that was the only book they had.” Kyle Zimmer, President, First Book
Putting new books in the hands of the children who need them most
More than 29 million children across Canada and the United States live in low-income households. Most of these children have no age-appropriate books at home, and the classrooms and programs they attend are woefully under-resourced. Approximately two-thirds of these schools and programs cannot afford to buy books at retail prices.
That’s where we come in
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book has pioneered groundbreaking channels to provide new books and educational resources at deeply reduced prices — and for free — to schools and programs serving children in need.
We provide teachers and program administrators with greater purchasing power and access to high-quality books that otherwise would not be available to them. Through First Book, educators can create enriched learning experiences for their students, and the children can enjoy an ongoing supply of wonderful new books.
First Book works
- First Book increases children’s interest in reading. Two separate studies found that "high interest in reading" triples among children who received new books from First Book.
- First Book empowers teachers. 99.2 percent of programs that receive books from First Book are able to increase their literacy efforts and offer new curriculum activities, including parent engagement programs.
- First Book improves literacy in the home. With First Book’s resources, families are able to create home libraries for the first time. More than 70 percent of children who received books through First Book reported increased reading at home.
- First Book engages a growing number of programs. More than 25,000 programs are registered with First Book and hundreds more join each week.
- First Book is mission-driven and highly efficient. 97 cents of every dollar donated to First Book supports our efforts to provide new books to children in need.