Job Title: Social Media Coordinator
First Book is expanding its Marketing/ Communications Team. If you have a business head and a nonprofit heart, and you have been deeply involved in social and new media for at least three years, you may be the person to help us better engage our diverse audiences.
The Social Media Coordinator will implement First Book’s strategies to engage and grow its diverse communities of current and prospective friends, followers, donors, schools and programs serving children in need; corporate, nonprofit and publishing partners; and thought-leaders in literacy and education.
- Manage First Book presence and reputation through social networking sites;
- Develop and post unique content to First Book blog to increase search engine rankings.
- Scour social and new media applications to seed First Book content as appropriate; post on relevant blogs, engage as appropriate in dialogues and answer questions, or coordinate with other colleagues to do so;
- Serve as the day-to- day liaison on social media and troubleshoot issues as they arise; respond rapidly to negative comments, problems or challenges to First Book’s reputation and/or its partners;
- Cultivate a blogger outreach network of First Book “ambassadors” to help spread the word and engage audiences in First Book;
- Participate in developing strategies to utilize social media to promote First Book campaigns and partner promotions;
- Collaborate with the Marketing/ Communications team and IT to establish reporting goals, effective benchmarks, methodologies and deliverables to maximize results; provide weekly report on key performance metrics;
- Provide regular feedback and insights on social marketing trends and performance.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with social media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, Digg, Youtube, Twitter, Flickr etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios;
- Strong project management or organizational skills, including ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; proficient editor and proofreader;
- Expertise with social media measurement tools and platforms;
- Good computer skills and technical understanding; able to pick up new tools quickly;
- Familiarity with principles of SEO and best practices for web writing and presence;
- Knowledge of blogosphere relevant to the social sector and literacy is a plus;
- Experience developing, managing and implementing integrated marketing campaigns and promotions through social media; online partnership experience a plus;
- Imagination, drive and know-how to create effective cutting edge social media campaigns;
- Team player with an excellent sense of humor.
Education and/or Experience:
- Three plus years experience in marketing and/or communications
- B.A. in marketing, business, communications, or a related field
- Experience in online communications within social sector and knowledge of literacy issues highly desirable
TO APPLY: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to
- please be sure to put Social Media Coordinator in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.